Completed petition Call on Welsh Government to make the A48 safe for all road users and pedestrians at Laleston, Broadlands and Merthyr Mawr
We the undersigned call on the National Assembly for Wales to urge the Welsh Government to make the A48 from Ewenny Roundabout, Merthyr Mawr, Broadlands to Laleston safe for ALL road users and pedestrians.
The A48 in Bridgend is an accident hotspot, over the last year 2 lives have been lost, and too many minor accidents and near misses have happened, involving cars, pedestrians and cyclists.
Despite this from Island Farm the A48 remains a 60mph road, the cycle/pathway finishes at Newbridge Fields from Broadlands.
We call for:
- an immediate reduction in speed from 60mph to 40mph;
- a safe crossing on the A48 from Newbridge Field/Craig-Y-Parcau nature reserve on the Merthyr Mawr Trail;
- an extended Cycle/Footpath to enable our children to walk safely to school;
- the exploration of options such as a central island for preventing people from ignoring the no turning right from Merthyr Mawr junctions or provision of a roundabout to allow safe turning.
- Funding must be made immediately available to prevent any further tragedies occurring.
Join the campaign today, how many more families will be shattered before action is taken?
No Safe Crossing exists from the public footpaths linking Newbridge Fields/Craig-y-Parcau nature serve to the rear of Broadlands on to Merthyr Mawr from the designated trail.
Broadlands children are expected to walk on a 60mph road to get to Brynteg School, or cross the road risking their lives on a daily basis.
Some road users pay little attention to the NO RIGHT TURN at Merthyr Mawr junctions creating an additional hazard for all users.
Bridgend County Borough Council have linked improvements to the long awaiting Island Farm Development.
This petition was considered by the Petitions Committee
Find out about the Petitions Committee’s discussion of this petition