The Senedd Election was held on 6 May 2021.
The petitions process will reopen shortly and petitions will be considered once a new committee has been established.
Find out about the 2021 Senedd Election
Petition Free school meals for all pupils in Wales
We call upon Welsh Government to immediately
- Amend the eligibility criteria for Free School Meals so that any child in any family receiving Universal Credit or equivalent benefit is eligible.
- Permanently extend free school meal entitlements to families with no recourse to public funds
- Introduce universal infant free school meals across Wales
As the first step towards implementing universal provision of nutritious free school meals for all school-aged children in Wales.
Every school-age pupil in Wales deserves the right to nutritious free school meals.
According to Child Poverty Action Group over half of children living below the UK poverty line in Wales (over 70,000) are not currently eligible for free school meals. This is not acceptable.
Free schools meals help struggling families, reduce stigma and inequality, and improve children’s health and wellbeing.
We believe the benefits of universal free school meals for all school-aged children in Wales will include
- Reducing poverty and inequality
- Helping family budgets and home life
- Boosting learning and education attainment
- Raising concentration levels of pupils throughout the day
- Creating bonds in the dinner hall through shared meal experiences
- Improving health inequalities among children
- Reducing obesity
- Increasing free school meals uptake by reducing stigma associated with means tested benefits.
The Petitions Committee will consider this petition
All petitions with more than 50 signatures will be discussed by the Petitions Committee after they have finished collecting signatures
At 10,000 signatures...
Petitions with more than 10,000 signatures will be considered for a debate in the Senedd