Closed petition Moderate quality agricultural land (grade 3b) should be used for food security not solar farms.
We must conserve 3b land to safeguard food security:
• Only 10-13% of Wales is Best & Most Versatile land (grades 1-3a). Climate change risks change to agricultural land grades
• 3b land supports crops
• Solar farms with 3a land within 3b land parcels are being approved (contrary to Welsh Government policy). Construction/decommission permanently damage land; 3a land will be lost
• Dual-purpose claims to offset land loss have no contractual obligation - sheep rarely graze under solar panels
Developers target Welsh Government’s (WG) more permissive planning policies: WG decides proposals above 10MW, England & Scotland local planning authorities decide up to 50MW. Solar panels belong on brownfield sites, residential properties & commercial buildings: use existing grid connections, reduce local electricity bills and supply surplus electricity to the National Grid = less demand for grid electricity, and agricultural land (our food security) is maintained.
• Welsh Government Soil Policy & Agricultural Land Use Planning Unit 2018-19 Soil Policy Evidence Programme Feb 2020
• PEDW DNS/3245065 Welsh Minister Decision 27/10/22
• PEDW DNS/3267575 2022-12-19 REPS009WGClimateChange
CAEVOD is against overdevelopment in East Vale of Glamorgan. We support renewable energy in the right location: carbon neutrality in Wales without destroying our countryside.
This petition is now under consideration by the Petitions Committee
Petitions that collect more than 250 signatures are discussed by the Petitions Committee
Find out about the Petitions Committee’s discussion of this petition